From SkeptVet TV- Raw Diets for Pets

Here is my latest video from SkeptVet TV, reviewing briefly the subject of raw diets for dogs and cats. You can find more information here on the blog, or in my book, Placebos for Pets? The Truth About Alternative Medicine for Animals.

This entry was posted in SkeptVet TV. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to From SkeptVet TV- Raw Diets for Pets

1. Noble says:

Finally, someone talking sense. I am tired of people shoving raw diets in my face every time I say I feed kibble. Lots of raw feeders are also anti-vaccination and anti-pest control. They think dogs shouldn’t have *any* shots, should never be wormed with what the vet gives you, and you should never put topical flea treatments on your dogs. Sorry, but I’d rather my dogs NOT be full of worms, fleas, and diseases. The only good thing I can say about raw is that it does keep their teeth clean. So, I do give my dogs raw chicken feet once I notice their teeth starting to look gross. My Italian Greyhound is 12 years old and he’s never needed a teeth cleaning, and usually Iggies have horrible teeth. Dental dog treat bones don’t seem to do the job and they are ten times more expensive. Oh, and no I do not ever put any kind of pesticide on my Iggies, I just use K9 Advantix on my huskies. (I wonder what the raw feeders think of the wolf experts at zoos that feed their wolves Purina…)

2. Anja says:

Thank you for your explanations. I am a certified counseler for pet nutrition, not an vet, but I had my whole education with vets who are specialised in nutrition, so I am familiar with all your arguments. But there is one thing I do not understand. We know from research that for humans nutrition which is as low processed as possible is healthier than canned and processed food supplemented by artificial vitamins and minerals taking as pills. Why is this principle not the same with dogs? Dogs are still much closer to nature than we are. And did all the studies you cite, really compare a well balanced home made food, raw or cooked but not BARF prepared without any knowledge of the nutritional needs of a dog, with an average kibble over a long time period?

I did briefly address this in the video. Essentially, there is a misconception that “processing” is the health and nutritional problem with convenience and snack foods made for humans, but that’s not really the issue. The problem is that such foods are designed for market appeal, not nutritional value, so they are often nutritional empty, high in salt and trans fats, and unhealthy in many ways. However, this is not intrinsic to any food that is cooked and commercially packaged; it’s a deliberate formulation decision made by the manufacturers.

Pet foods are formulated and tested very differently, with the specific goal of making nutritionally complete and healthy diets for long-term use. Comparing these to potato chips and frozen dinners for humans is comparing apples and oranges. There is plenty of evidence that commercial diets do support long, healthy lives in many pets, so the idea that they can’t do so because they are “processed” is simply not true.

Now the hypothesis that fresh-food cooked diets might be even better than current commercial diets is a reasonable one, it just hasn’t been tested yet. The evidence that properly formulated homemade cooked diets might have health benefits compared to current commercial diets will have to come from experimental evidence, not inappropriate analogies to processed foods in the human market. Raw-meat diets, however, clearly have significant dangers, so while there is not yet any evidence they have health benefits, it is clear that they have necessary risks. And, of course, they are not safe or health for humans either, so extrapolation from human nutrition doesn’t support them anyway.

“Dogs are still much closer to nature than we are.” I don’t know how you measure “closeness to nature,” but this doesn’t make any sense. For one thing, there is nothing close to wild canids about a pug or Welsh corgi, and the fact is that dogs have been subject to thousands of years of intensive artificial selection by humans, so it is arguable that they are less “natural” (whatever that means) than we are. However, regardless of that, your implication that the “natural” state of a species includes the optimal diet is manifestly untrue. Captive wild carnivore live longer and healthier lives than their wild counterparts. There are many reasons for this, but one is the provision of sufficient safe and healthy food, which often includes commercial diets. Wild animals suffer from malnutrition, starvation, infectious diseases, parasitism, and injury associated with their “natural” diets, so there is nothing optimal about these.

4. Nick says:

Very strange that you would choose to compare human and canine digestion given that humans are at best opportunistic omnivores designed to primarily process vegetation and dogs are carnivores who have part adapted to be able to eat the diet of an omnivore. Plus, our stomach PH is entirely different which explains why we are unable to safely digest raw meat.

You also seem to ignore the fact that many brands of kibble are 50%+ carbohydrate which dogs are simply not designed to effectively digest – evolution takes 10s of thousands of years so you can’t be suggesting dogs are now pure omnivores and can thrive on a predominantly carb based diet.

1. Dogs are phylogenetically carnivores, but they are functionally omnivores adapted to eating a variety of foods.
    2. They have been adapted by intensive artificial selection for over 10,000 years to scavenge or share human food, so yes, they have the capacity to eat diets very similar to ours.
    3. The statement that “many brands of kibble are 50%+ carbohydrates” isn’t meaningful. On what basis? Proportion of metabolizable energy? By weight? And so what? The idea that carbohydrates are unhealthy for dogs is a misconception. Here is a useful article on the subject.

6. kitty says:

“I am tired of people shoving raw diets in my face every time I say I feed kibble. ” – I simply tell them that ProPlan wet and Science Diet dry is the only thing my cats would eat and that’s it.
    In reality, my cats don’t even think of raw stuff as food. When I cook for myself one of them comes to the smell of cooked meat, but not the raw one. A couple of times they managed to find mice in my home, they didn’t bother eating them.

BTW – There is a YT video of African wildcat kittens in an endangered species breeding center in South Africa, and they are going wild over kibble.