Five Most Dangerous Alternative Therapies for Pets- From SkeptVet TV

This entry was posted in SkeptVet TV. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Five Most Dangerous Alternative Therapies for Pets- From SkeptVet TV

1. Angie says:

Hi Skeptvet,

Thank you for the informative video. I asked a question on another thread, but I think it’s better suited here. Is there any scientific research on the supplement called Cholodin for CCD and seizures? Thanks in advance.

Hi Angie,
    Yes, I did see your question, I just hadn’t gotten a chance to respond. Cholodin is a hodgepodge of different substances each of which has some theoretic al rationale or lab animal evidence to suggest it could be useful for various neurologic conditions. There is, unfortunately, zero reliable research evidence for the product itself, nothing but anecdotes. It’s been around for many years, and I suspect if it was dramatically effective we would have seen that by now, but perhaps someone will do a proper study one day.

3. Jen Robinson says:

I remain skeptical of dismissing any large category based on scattered evidence that some members of the category are fraudulent. My Dad (long dead) was an excellent medical doctor and an iconoclast (also head of class at Harvard) said of traditional medicine, ‘there are pearls among the trash’. It’s hard to find the pearls, but it is premature to assume, for example, that ALL raw feeding is bad because SOME raw diets are problematic. You (and anyone seriously studying the evidence) acknowledge that natural plant based medicines may be efficacious.

I don’t really see the issue being “all raw feeding is bad because some raw feeding is bad.” There is no evidence for any benefits of any raw feeding, and there is significant evidence for some risk from some raw feeding. The issue, then, is when do we choose to feed raw and why? My answer is that until there is some evidence of benefits, it is mere guesswork that there are pearls to find, and there is no reason to take accept the known risks. Of course, the decision will change if the evidence changes. Unfortunately, people feed raw quite often based on false or unproven promises of benefits that we don’t know exists and despite the risks we know do, and I think the net balance is towards more harm than good for our pets.

5. Angie says:

Thank you so much and happy new year to you.

6. art malernee says:

wish you had added arsenic, natural element 33 to the list. At least some of the profession like vin.com is now saying its ok not to use arsenic wormers. Fda needs to take arsenic used as a wormer off the market or at least show arsenic is safe and effective vs no treatment.