About

As a practicing veterinarian, I am personally and professionally devoted to promoting real, beneficial medical therapies for companion animals, and to discouraging those approaches that have not proven to be safe or effective, or that may even be harmful. I strive for true open-mindedness, but I believe all medical practices must be open to critique and must be validated by reliable science, not merely tradition, intuition, opinion, or anecdote. In this blog I will be addressing the broad range of philosophical, ethical, economic, legal, political, and most of all scientific issues raised by complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), particularly as it is applied to veterinary medicine.

skeptvet1@gmail.com

109 Responses to About

You’re correct that the evidence is mixed and not conclusive. In general, there is some evidence that the risk of long-term development of orthopedic problems, especially cruciate ligament rupture, may be increased in large-breed dogs neutered before 1-2 years of age. The relevant variables are probably growth plate closure (which is delayed in neutered animals) and obesity (which is more common in neutered animals). I think there is a reasonable case to be made for waiting until full growth (about 12-14 months for a breed the size of a golden) to reduce this risk, but the supporting evidence for this is limited.

Even more questionable is the role of neutering on long-term risk of development of some cancers. Female Goldens may have a higher relative risk of some types of neoplasia if neutered. It is not clear what role the timing of neutering might play in this, and the absolute risk is not greatly changed. Furthermore, this finding hasn’t been seen in males or several other breeds, so it is pretty tenuous. Set against the risk of mammary cancer and pyometra, which are far more common in intact females than any of the cancers that might be slightly more likely with neutering, I think the balance of evidence is still in favor of neutering. It is not at all clear how much impact delaying neutering has on this issue.

If you’re not sure what to do, it means you have correctly interpreted the evidence as mixed and limited. I generally recommend waiting until full growth for females based on the logic that there is some evidence of benefit and little evidence of risk, but I don’t think the data is strong enough to make a strong claim that it is wrong to neuter earlier.

2. Hello Skeptvet, again, and thank you for having a well-balanced scientific approach to healing conversations. I previously approached you about an ‘Aural hematoma Treatment’ the Auralsplint. The five-year study has been self-published on Researchgate.com and is available at your pleasure to read and evaluate. I have also written a few articles supporting my beliefs the non-surgical approach using an auralsplint is both very effective and a good alternative to surgery if used at early onset. To correspond with your intent of scientific analysis, the study manuscript Auralsplint – Descriptive Report is lengthy and very encompassing. I hope you find it interesting and informative.

3. Kirstin Tedore says:

Are allergy shots ok to give to Yorkies?

“Allergy shots” is used in a number of different ways, so I can’t be sure what you are referring to. Most commonly, this means hyposensitization or immunotherapy, in which dogs with environmental allergies are gradually desensitized to their triggers using gradually increasing antigen exposure. This is typically done by a dermatologist and can be done in any breed.

There are also a variety of medications used for symptomatic treatment of allergies that can be given by injection, and these are sometimes called “allergy shots” by owners. There isn’t anything about Yorkies that would preclude them from using these medications in general, but of course the risks and benefits for any individual dog should be something you discuss with your vet.

5. Maggie Stouffer says:

It seems my silver lab has diluted alopecia. I am aware there is no cure or treatment. But do you have any recommendations of things that could potentially help my dog. I’m not expecting miracles but just to help his coat and skin. Unfortunately he’s also allergic to fish so fish oil is a no go.

6. Mel says:

Dear Skeptvet
    I do find it interesting that you are willing to condemn Dr’s that are willing to put their name out there in the name of veterinary medicine but I find no mention of who you are or what your credentials are on your website. They open themselves up to lots of harassment by putting their name forward but obviously believe in what they do. Why don’t you? It would five you some credibility.

You are mistaken. There is nothing secret about my identity, and my credentials are readily available, so you don’t seem to have looked very hard. The real question, though, is why it matters. Does who I am change the strength of the evidence of the arguments I make. Are scientific questions settled by reputation or appeals to authority? How do we use what we know about someone to inform how we evaluate what they say, and is that useful or legitimate?

8. Angie says:

Hey Skeptvet,

I was watching an interesting documentary about Neuroscientists discussing NDE. One doctor said an interesting statement that made me think of you. He said, “if you look at the history of science, all science starts as collecting anecdotes. And then finding patterns among those different stories.”

I was just curious what your thoughts were regarding this statement being about anecdotes.

Thanks so much

All science absolutely STARTS with observations and anecdotes. But it doesn’t end there, whereas pseudoscience does.